Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The American

Last night I was able to watch The American, starring George Clooney, Paolo Bonacelli and Violante Placido. I'm certainly not going to try to pass myself off as a movie critic, but I'm feeling a bit compelled to make a few comments about this movie.

In summary, it is about an American assassin who, while pulling off a last job in Italy, decides to call it quits. Along the way he befriends a priest and finds a love interest.

I have read a few reviews of this movie, and there is one theme that keeps coming up... this movie is slow. I've even seen the word boring used more than once. In my opinion, both of those words describe The American perfectly.

Now, there are undoubtedly a few reviews out there that will mention how "deep" the movie is. I can't say that I'm buying that. Perhaps there is potential with the story line, but it certainly didn't come out in this movie. I don't require tons of action for a movie to be entertaining. But, I will never be able to be entertained by 105 minutes of watching someone walk around, looking grumpy. Which, is exactly what The American seemed like to me.

I realize that everyone's taste is different. So, I'm always a bit hesitant to tell someone not to see a particular movie. But, I will tell you this... If you find yourself totally bored within the first 52.5 minutes of this movie, give up! Don't waste another 52.5 minutes waiting for it to get better... It doesn't.

- Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment